Carmel by The Sea

Carmel by the Sea often referred to as simply Carmel is a city in Monterey County, California. It was founded in 1902 and is situated on the Monterey Peninsula and known for natural scenery and artistic history. In 1906 the San Francisco Call devoted a full-page to the artists, poets and writers of Carmel by the Sea. 60% of Carmel's houses were built by citizens who devoted their lives to work in the aesthetic arts. Early city councils were dominated by artists and several mayors were poets or actors including Herbert Herron, Perry Newberry and of course Clint Eastwood. The city is known for being dog friendly with hotels and restaurants that admit dogs. It is also known for some unusual laws including wearing high heel shoes without a permit due to lawsuits arising from tripping accidents caused by a regular pavement.

Bruno's Market - Carmel's House

Bruno's Market - Carmel's House

Carmel by the Sea is located about 330 miles north of Los Angeles and 120 miles south of San Francisco on the Pacific Coast. In 2010 the town had a population of 3722. Carmel by the Sea is permeated by Native American, Spanish and American history. The first Native Americans to inhabit Carmel were the Esseline speaking people then the Ohlone people. The first Europeans to see the land were Spanish Mariners led by Cabrillo. Another Spanish explorer Vizcaino discovered for Spain the Carmel Valley. The Spanish did not attempt to colonize the area until 1770 when Franciscan priests Junipero Serra and Juan Crespi visited the area in search of a mission site. The colony of Monterey was established as the second mission in Alta California became the capital of California until 1849. The mission San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo was founded on June 3, 1770 in the settlement of Monterey but was relocated to Carmel because of native Indians and soldiers. Simple buildings of plastered mud were the first church and dwellings. In 1784 Serra died and was buried at the mission. The mission at Carmel has a long significant history and contains the states first library.

Carmel became part of the United States in 1848 when Mexico ceded California after the Mexican American war. In 1905 the Carmel arts and crafts club was formed to support and produce artistic works. After 1906 and the San Francisco earthquake many artists turn to establish an artist colony in Carmel after the Bay City was destroyed. Jack London describes this artist colony in his novel The Valley of the Moon. Many noted writers lived or frequent in the village. The art and crafts club held exhibitions, lectures, dances and produce plays all in various locations in Carmel.

Bruno's Market - Beach of The City Carmel

Bruno's Market - Beach of The City Carmel

The town's first cultural center and theater the Carmel arts and crafts clubhouse was built in 1907. The facilities became a two theater complex and in 1952 and as the Golden Bough Playhouse. No other women's club in the country has attracted as much attention and were achieved more remarkable success as a Carmel club of arts and crafts. Mary Austin opened the Carmel Shakespeare Festival and the festival continued through the 1940s. The Carmel sunset school along with the Forrest Theatre Guild and the Pacific repertory theater were all venues continuing to promote the artistic culture.

George Sterling helped establish the literary arts colony in Carmel along with Mary Austin and Jack London. As for visual arts Arnold Genthe a renowned photographer joined the Carmel arts colony in 1906. The Carmel Bach Festival began in 1935 as a three-day festival but has expanded in 2009 to 3 weeks. It is a festival of Johann Sebastian Bach. The festival schedule features full orchestral and Choral works along with vocal chamber ensemble concerts recitals master classes etc. the Monterey Symphony provides triple performances in an education program during this time.

Bruno's Market Footer Logotype

To Find Out More Read:,,,_California

© Copyright 2016